Welcome to A Gravel Road Journey!

NOT SO LONG AGO, Dad RE-named his art studio, "A Gravel Road Studio", and so this seemed an appropiate title for his blog.

Why 'Gravel Road'? As Dad explains, "Gravel roads take us off life's busy highway and force us to slow down. When we slow down we have time - time to notice the things around us; the things that matter the most; life and breath, the flowers and the trees. Gravel roads allow us to taste the dust of our travel and give us time to breathe."

Since his studio is a place of quiet reflection and contemplation, we wanted to create a space for family and friends to do the same as we journey together down this new and unknown path. We also wish to keep family and friends updated on his diagnoses and treatment, so please check in often for updates and new information.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Visit from the Palliative Doctor

Well, Dad had a visit last week from the Palliative care doctor, Dr. Garcia. They decided to increase his dexamethazone (steroid) medication in order to improve Dad's cognitive functions. So far it is working, and Mom started to see improvements beginning Tuesday of this week. Dad has been more alert and awake the last few days than he has been for quite a while, and also has an increased appetite. It's been so nice to see him up and out of bed a little more often, and able to joke and carry on much longer conversations than he was able to a few weeks ago.

Another new piece of equipment has arrived in the last few weeks as well. Mom and Dad now have a Hoyer Power lift for the days that Dad doesn't have the strength to get up out of bed. This has made it much easier for Mom to get him up when he isn't able to help, although I don't think they have had to use it much since it arrived.

The doctors and nurses are continuing to moniter his condition and his medication levels. And we continue to pray that we would see healing in Dad's brain. We are also getting excited for Dad's art show at the end of January, and are very hopeful that Dad will be able to make it out for the show.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a dream that I walked into a familiar place where I've been many, many times and someone was bending down but I couldn't see who it was. Suddenly, Gerald (Mr. F) stood up, smiled,and waved to me. I, in my dream, was shocked because he looked like "his old self" and of course he was painting. I said to him "you look the same, like you've never been sick!" He smiled and said that he had to paint a huge mural for the CCS gym.

My prayers continue and with that the belief for healing. I hold the verses from Isaiah over Gerald, whispering them to God again and again, asking that God's word be fulfilled. Our Lord does heal, he created us- our intricate systems, and for Him the healing that we deem impossible He can do. I ask that God will call His healing and ministering angels to Gerald's room- they hearken only to God's voice. Each of us is only one, but in the Bible God was ready to spare a whole city for just one person who believed! How much more so when the prayers coming from all of us who are reading this blog and praying for Gerald and his family are joined together in one voice! Today and each day to come we ask for total healing for Gerald so that he can be with his family for many more years, see his great grandchildren, and continue to glorify God's name with his art. We hope in steadfast belief for what is not yet seen but what is to come. Amen, we ask this in Jesus' Holy Name.

Marg and Jake Hoogland said...

So good to read the post. I am sitting here in at King's surrounded by Gerald's art. Thinking about him brings tears to my eyes. Tears for what he is going through but also tears of remembrance of the good times we had.

May God richly bless all of you and I am so glad that you are having some good days together.

This blog is a blessing to all of us who are far away and can only share through thoughts and prayers. I hope that it also a blessing to Gerald and Arlis as they here all these bits and pieces from their friends.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to hear that you have Dr. Garcia as your palliative care Dr. He is a very caring Christian Doctor. Isn't that just like God to give us surprises along the way!

Anonymous said...

When Mom first told me over the phone about your fight for life, Mr. Folkerts, I was surprised by the wave of emotions that came over me. When I finally sorted them all out, I realized how blessed I've been to know you. I felt glad and excited that you had pursued your dream. I felt grateful to have had the priveledge to be your student in the few short years you taught at CCS. I felt saddened at the prospect that your life here may be nearing it's end. And I felt burdened to pray for healing, and peace for your family. I also felt hope, knowing that if you step over early, that we'll see you again.
When you're 12 and 13 years old, you think you know it all, but the truth is, you're not sure of anything. I was an average student, quiet, "behind-the-scenes". But then you came along, Mr. Folkerts, and you helped me believe in myself. I had talent, you said. I had an eye. You nurtured a love for art in me, and in so doing, nurtured a self-confidence where I didn't have any. You made me feel like I was good at something. Then I grew up, moved away and had family of my own. All three of my children are very creative in their own respect. I can't tell you how many times I've helped them on projects, explaining "light source", and "vanishing point", and showing them how to maintain proper perspective...how to see beauty where you would normally pass it by. They'd even won some local art contests. When their art
teachers comment on their work, wondering where they "get it from"...I always reply, "I had a great teacher".
We'll probably never know the countless number of lives you've touched so far; through your life, through your own walk with the Lord, through your art. But in my own little world,I do know you've touched my life, and in turn, my children's. Two generations so far.
You may not remember me, Mr. Folkerts, but I will never forget you.