Welcome to A Gravel Road Journey!

NOT SO LONG AGO, Dad RE-named his art studio, "A Gravel Road Studio", and so this seemed an appropiate title for his blog.

Why 'Gravel Road'? As Dad explains, "Gravel roads take us off life's busy highway and force us to slow down. When we slow down we have time - time to notice the things around us; the things that matter the most; life and breath, the flowers and the trees. Gravel roads allow us to taste the dust of our travel and give us time to breathe."

Since his studio is a place of quiet reflection and contemplation, we wanted to create a space for family and friends to do the same as we journey together down this new and unknown path. We also wish to keep family and friends updated on his diagnoses and treatment, so please check in often for updates and new information.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another Article and a CT Scan

For those of you that missed it, Morley Walker wrote another article about Dad in the Winnipeg Free Press yesterday. I haven't checked yet to see if it's been posted on the website, but I'll update if gets added....

And for the big news, Dad will be receiving another CT scan to check on the swelling around the tumor. It's been scheduled for this next Monday, February 2nd at 9 pm. Then Dad goes back in for bloodwork and to find out the results on the 6th of February. From what Mom told us last night, I don't think they are looking much at the tumor, just at the swelling around it. I guess we'll find out for sure on the 6th when we get the results!

Also wanted to post a reminder about the art exhibit, "Unfinished Business". It opens tonight at the Outworks Gallery @ 7 pm (address and more details @ www.folkerts.ca). The whole family, including Dad, will be there and we're looking forward to a night out with family and friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your mom, Arlis, through school. She and my mom were friends through the division and Arlis knew my mom when she lost her battle to cancer. I think about all of you so often and actually know first hand what a terrible journey you are on. It is difficult every day and I know how exhausting it can be. My mom and my entire family took such incrdible strength from this passage that I thought I would share it with your family.

The Oak Tree

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the Oak tree’s leaves away,
Then snapped it’s boughs and pulled it’s bark
until the Oak tree was tired and stark.
But still the Oak tree held its ground
While other trees fell all around.

The weary wind gave up and spoke,
“How can you still be standing, Oak?”

The Oak tree said,
“I know that you can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs, and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in the earth growing stronger since my birth.
You’ll never touch them for you see,
they are the deepest part of me. Until today I wasn’t sure of just how much I could endure but now I’ve found,
with thanks to you,
I’m stronger than I ever knew.”

All my thoughts and prayers,
Mollie Kaatz

Anonymous said...

I pray that the CT scan will show that the swelling has gone down and that the tumor has shrunk. I continue to hold all of you up in prayer. May you have a wonderful weekend at the artshow. May God give Gerald the strength to continue on this journey.
Diane

tamara noelle said...

I attended the art exhibit last night. It was fantastic to see so many friends of your family there. I'm sure it meant a great deal to have so many people come out. I hope the rest of the weekend has just as many people showing up each night. It was also great to see Gerald there and to hear him speak, still joking and pretty much being "himself" as much as can be of course. He looked great.

I hope and pray that things go well with the CT scan and I look forward to hearing/reading the results.

Thanks for always keeping us updated Dana.

God bless you all!

Much love,
Tamara van Leeuwen

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed the art exhibit so much last weekend, what a blessing it was! Here is a link to a taped closing of the exhibit.
http://saintbenedictstable.ca/media.html