Welcome to A Gravel Road Journey!

NOT SO LONG AGO, Dad RE-named his art studio, "A Gravel Road Studio", and so this seemed an appropiate title for his blog.

Why 'Gravel Road'? As Dad explains, "Gravel roads take us off life's busy highway and force us to slow down. When we slow down we have time - time to notice the things around us; the things that matter the most; life and breath, the flowers and the trees. Gravel roads allow us to taste the dust of our travel and give us time to breathe."

Since his studio is a place of quiet reflection and contemplation, we wanted to create a space for family and friends to do the same as we journey together down this new and unknown path. We also wish to keep family and friends updated on his diagnoses and treatment, so please check in often for updates and new information.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

In the Papers

Mom thought it would be a good idea to mention this here, in case anyone may have missed it. Dad has been featured in two different papers in the past few weeks. The first article was printed in the Winnipeg Free Press before Christmas. And we just found out today that there is an article in the latest edition of Christian Week as well.

For anyone who missed the Free Press article, it can be found on the website for Dad's art show: www.folkerts.ca. Click on 'Article' and it will display the whole thing. Since the Christian Week article just came out today it's not on the website yet. I'll update on here if it does get added.

That's it for today. We saw Dad today after church and he's doing about the same as he has been the last few weeks. He's not necessarily any better, but he's also not really any worse, which is always good news. We continue to hope and pray for a few more months with him, but we just have to keep taking it one day at a time, trusting that God knows best how much longer he'll be here with us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your regular upates on your dad's condition. He is always in my thoughts and prayers. Also in my thoughts is how even when a situation seems hopeless and a body or spirit is broken we see it as it is, with our limited vision. We see an unsolvable situation because we are human and the day to day burden wears us down. We start to accept because we dare not hope for more in the face of despair. God sees above what we see and He does not, in fact, see what we see at all. As long as there is a breath of life (and taken from the Bible even when there isn't)there is hope for God's healing to be poured out on the sick and for miraculous healing to occur. God does not change, so the accounts of healing from Biblical stories can still happen. I'm probably saying what you already know and have asked for. God can show through His Holy Word a particular scripture that can be used as a weapon to fight against sickness and death brought on by Satan. In fact scripture is a weapon and God says that when it leaves our lips with this purpose it does not return empty because He watches over it to ensure that it returns fulfilled. We can ask God for a verse that He intends for us to have in any given situation. You just pray and ask Him to guide you to understand and identify what He wants you to know as you open and read the Bible. I have done this for your dad and I repeat this verse over and over as I pray for him. It is Isaiah 57: 18 & 19. There was time when I was in despair and felt no hope for someone who had been sick for a long time and this was my first experience with scriptures being prayed over someone to release God's miraculous power to heal. Still today, truly, this person has been totally healed beyond any expectations. I know that many of us have spoken about your dad over the years and just to clarify who it is we are speaking of we often say "oh, Gerald the painter." His artwork is inspiring and beautiful and he has much more work to do on earth for our Lord. I pray that one day we will say "oh, Gerald the painter, the one who was healed?" I pray and I believe that we will hear his resounding voice booming out in song praising God again. It is often a draining fight indeed against the sin and sickness on the earth but we are well equipped with the armour given to us by the Lord- and we can take His Holy Word and defeat disease as His mercy and grace overflows upon us. We can tune out the words of the doctors who say that there is now nothing to be done and focus solely on His Word and promises. It is a fight but on the earth or when we are taken to heaven, our blessed Lord is there for us. May God bless you, strengthen, and comfort you all as you stand and fight beside the man you love and we love whom God loves as well. Sorry for the anonymous (above), i'm new to blogs and I don't think I have the identity the site is asking for to attach to this post. God Bless.

KenM said...

What an awesome comment by Anonymous and I couldn't agree more. Forgiveness of our sins and healing of our body are a combined theme in the Bible. Read Isaiah 53:5, 1 Peter 2:24 and Psalm 103:3 as examples. I continue to pray for Gerald every day and keep reminding God of His promises written in B&W in His Bible. The verse I use personally a lot is Mark 11:24 where Jesus says: Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Anonymous said...

As the people of God, before leaving Egypt, were commanded to put the blood of the Pascal Lamb on their doorposts so that the Angel of Death would pass over, so I put the blood of the Lamb of God on you so that the Angel of Death will pass over... in the Mighty Name of JESUS.!!
H.Z.

Sherryl said...

My nma eis Sheryl. Gerald was my grade 7-9 teacher at Calvin Christian. HE was my art teacher. I had a hard time with art, it wasn't my favorite subject but Gerald encouraged me with my writing. I now write articles for my church web site. I pray daily for Gerald, in the am, pm and whenever God puts it on my heart to pray for Gerald. I also pray for Arlis and the family. I also had the priviledge of being a student aide for Arlis when she taught grade 1 at Calvin christian, when I was taking a family studies course in high school.
My favorite bible passage is Psalms 121 and this is the passage that I give to the Folkerts. My last article was on miracles( the small ones) we see everyday. I did a follow up on that article with the miracle that Gerald was here for Christmas and the miracle that he still here with his family and us. I am not to sure when that is going up, but soon I think.

siep said...

Hallo familie Gerald Folkerts.
Mijn Engels is niet optimaal maar uit de berichten begrijp ik dat veel mensen om jullie heenstaan,jullie gedenken in gebeden en gedachten.
Al horen jullie niet zo vaak wat ons, zijn jullie regelmatig in onze gedachten en houd zus Mattie ons met regelmaat op de hoogte hoe het met Gerald en jullie gaat.
Wij wilen jullie daarom ook vanuit Surhuizum veel sterkte toebidden.
Al is de afstand groot, voor het gebed is geen afstand te groot.
Hartelijke groeten van Siep en Rinske

Anonymous said...

To all of you: You are in my prayers. I am going down a similiar path and so I really can say that I know how you feel. I pray you feel the peace that really does pass all understanding. I really think a lot of your dad, and have lots of fond memories when he was my art and bible teacher. I also babysat a lot of you. I think of all of you often, and pray for you regularly.
In Him,
Leanne Ulrich