Welcome to A Gravel Road Journey!

NOT SO LONG AGO, Dad RE-named his art studio, "A Gravel Road Studio", and so this seemed an appropiate title for his blog.

Why 'Gravel Road'? As Dad explains, "Gravel roads take us off life's busy highway and force us to slow down. When we slow down we have time - time to notice the things around us; the things that matter the most; life and breath, the flowers and the trees. Gravel roads allow us to taste the dust of our travel and give us time to breathe."

Since his studio is a place of quiet reflection and contemplation, we wanted to create a space for family and friends to do the same as we journey together down this new and unknown path. We also wish to keep family and friends updated on his diagnoses and treatment, so please check in often for updates and new information.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No Signs of Improvement

Well, unfortunately, as the days and weeks go by, we continue to see Dad's health declining. Some days are better than others, but as time passes, he is slowly spending more and more time in bed. At the recommendation of the palliative care nurse, Dad is now undergoing palliative care at home. Mom has home care workers coming from 8:30 to 4:30 seven days a week, and overnight care is being provided 7 nights a week. We have decided as a family that we would like Dad to be at home for as long as possible. It allows us to spend the most amount of time possible with him, which is what we've been focusing on these last few weeks. We're so very grateful that he is still able to be at home and especially grateful for the days that he is feeling up to sitting at the table with us for meals. We don't want to take any of this time for granted, so we've been doing our best to make the most of the situation and spend as much quality time with Dad as we can.

We've also been enjoying visits from family and friends. Some days it feels like the visitors never stop - I'm sure even more so for Mom and the other kids, since it's their house! But it brings a welcome relief to see those that we love continuing to come and visit and spend time not only with the family, but visiting with Dad as well. We know he enjoys these visits very much, even when he doesn't always have the energy for long conversations.

Please continue to keep all of us in your prayers. There is a great likelihood that this Christmas will be the last one that we get to spend with Dad, so your prayers for us during the holidays are greatly appreciated.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this blog since you started it and I don't even know what to say. I am a former student of Geralds and it is even hard for me to call him that because to me he will always be Mr.Folkerts (even though I graduatedd from Calvin in 1987). He was/is an amazing teacher and was always willing to talk with a student. Even after you left the school if he saw you he was always interested in what you were doing now and how things were going. I appreciated him so very much. This is a hard time for all of you and you are all in my prayers as you deal with this difficult situation that life has brought.

May God give you comfort and peace in this time.

Sincerely,

Christine van Leeuwen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. May God bless those moments that you have as a family. I pray for strength for your family as you continue to travel this road. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I went through the same thing when my mom was dying. It is not an easy thing to watch. Each moment you get to spend with your family is precious. I thank God that your dad is now receiving pallative care and that your mom gets to just focus on spending time with your dad.
May you and your family continue to lean on the everlasting arms of our loving father. He is holding all of you in the palm of your hand.
May God give you the comfort and peace during this difficult time.

Blessings
Diane

mmichele said...

I am so very sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Words are so inadequate at these times.

Marg and Jake Hoogland said...

I cannot imagine the big, healthy, energetic Gerald I know being unable to function the way he normally did. I also cannot imagine how this is affecting the rest of the family. I only know that your strength comes from God and that it is only through his love and tender care that you will get through this. We pray for strength for Gerald and for the rest of you each day.
As I read the blog and the comments I am glad that Gerald can hear some of these things. Often we say them all too late.
I will cherish each piece of artwork that I have, Gerald. They mean a lot to me and I will always cherish our friendship.
The verse that keeps coming to my mind is Isaiah 40:31:
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Prayers for all of you, and a special one for Grandma Folkerts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Arlis and Gerald! I attended a literacy consultants meeting this afternoon (even though I am retired!) and there I learned of the overwhelming challenges your family is facing. I can only imagine the heaviness in your hearts at this time but I do know of your love for the Lord. It is this thought that offers comfort - to know your family gain your strength from Him. I met Gerald last year when we had breakfast together. I wanted him to share his gifts and hire him as a Learning Through The Arts artist. He is bigger than life and had me intrigued with his many anecdotes and pearls of wisdom. It was a most delightful breakfast! I went away from that meeting thinking that you, Arlis, are married to a very wonderful man and how lucky for me to have met him! Your blog speaks of the faith and love that you all share with each other and with your many friends. I pray that you find courage from all. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Lorraine Prokopchuk

Anonymous said...

I also have been reading the blog since it has began. I don't know your dad at all but a dear friend of mind does. Her name is Jocelyn Langendoen (she went to the Wilowcreek Conference the same year your dad went and that is where they met.)She is also struggling with cancer. She also found out that she had a brain tumor in Sept. She has been a real fighter. This will also be her last Christmas with her family and friends. When I read both blogs I read how two families are holding on to a loved one and cherishing each moment they have. We have shed alot of tears already. We have shared stories of times gone by. We have laughed at treasured memories that we will never let go. We hold on to the Psalms and how God is the Rock at all times. He will hold on to us in times of trouble. It is hard some days. We don't understand why God is taking two wonderful people from us when we feel their time isn't over here on earth. They have blessed so many people. I just want you to know that we are also holding your family in our thoughts and prayers. May He give you the strength you need. Love Lorraine Wierenga

Amanda said...

Hi
I wanted to leave a few words of thanks and blessings to Gerald. Please pass them on if you can.
I attend Covenant CRC (I lead worship), and I had Gerald as a substitute teacher at Calvin occasionally.
First of all. I'd like to express thanks to Gerald for his ability to make a person feel welcome and accepted. As the only 17 year old worship leader a few years ago, he made me feel like I was an important part of things. He always knew my name, and let me have my opinions. That encouragement has stuck with me, and is very important to where I am now.
Secondly, I'd like to say that I appreciate Gerald for how open he was as a person. You saw it in his artwork, in the way he led worship (even if his timing was off :) ) and most importantly in that big smile and attentiveness in a conversation.
Thank you Gerald, for the blessing and encouragement you've been. Thank you for helping me realise my own value in the family of God. It breaks my heart to hear that there hasn't been improvement. I hope you find peace and comfort, even in this place.
Many blessings to all of you in this difficult Holiday season and beyond.
In Prayer,
Amanda

tamara noelle said...

I've also been reading this blog since Dana started it. Like Christine mentioned above, I too was a former student of Geralds, and I, too have a hard time calling him such. He was a fabulous teacher, even though I didn't do very well in Art, nor Bible. I can pretty much agree with everything Christine mentioned above. He was always very interested in what I was doing and also what my siblings (Robyn and Matthew) were up to, and always willing to listen. It's so difficult to picture Gerald (Mr. Folkerts) this way. When I first learned he had the tumour my jaw seriously dropped. I was thinking this can't be happening, but we know all things happen for a reason even though we may never know the reason. I'm sorry to hear that there is no improvement but you all have been in my thoughts and prayers. May you lean on God to give you the strength you need to get through your day to day struggles. I'm happy to hear that Gerald can remain at home at this time. May God give you all that you are in need of. May you be blessed during this holiday season!

Many blessings and love,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

I read the article about Gerald in the Saturday Free Press. We pray that the Lord will give you all strength and faith to carry this burden. Gerald appears to be a light to all who have been touched by him. Your faith will always carry you through.
We are members of the Canadian Reformed Church in Carman... our dear Son Colin was called to his Heavenly Home on October 16, 2007 at the age of 21. It had been a trying time for us, yet by the Grace of God we carry on... on the wings of Eagles.

May God be with you all.

Sincerely, Cor & Janine Lodder