Welcome to A Gravel Road Journey!

NOT SO LONG AGO, Dad RE-named his art studio, "A Gravel Road Studio", and so this seemed an appropiate title for his blog.

Why 'Gravel Road'? As Dad explains, "Gravel roads take us off life's busy highway and force us to slow down. When we slow down we have time - time to notice the things around us; the things that matter the most; life and breath, the flowers and the trees. Gravel roads allow us to taste the dust of our travel and give us time to breathe."

Since his studio is a place of quiet reflection and contemplation, we wanted to create a space for family and friends to do the same as we journey together down this new and unknown path. We also wish to keep family and friends updated on his diagnoses and treatment, so please check in often for updates and new information.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Some Encouraging Words from Friends

I wanted to post this yesterday, but we didn't get home until late...and then wanted to post the update on the tests before I forgot the details! :P But either way, yesterday was a very encouraging day for us. We (Jared and I) went to church with Mom and Dad in the morning and an announcement was made to the congregation regarding Dad's tumor. It was hard to have to hear it out loud like that...and hard to endure all the hugs afterwards. But in a good way! It's so nice to know that there are so many people who love and care for all of us and are supporting us throughout this whole ordeal.

After church we went to Mom and Dad's for some family time and then we went to Kildonan Park to take some family pictures. It was a beautiful day for it, and I'm hoping to share a few of the pics here once I get a chance to go through them all....I only took over 200 pictures, so it may take a day or two! :P

Anyway...after pictures Jared and I had a meeting with our small group and filled them all in on the details of Dad's journey thus far. We all cried together and our friends prayed over us and for us. And then Andrea mentioned the words to a song that God had placed on her heart for us to hear, and it's such a beautiful and fitting song for all of us right now that I wanted to share it with everyone reading along:

You Never Let Go (by Matt Redman)

Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I'm caught in the middle
of the storms of this life
I won't turn back
I know you are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

(Chorus:) Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming
for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth

(Chorus) Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

(Chorus 2x's)

Steve got out his guitar and we sang it together as a small group. It was very encouraging and very uplifting. We serve such an awesome and powerful God. He's greater than any tumor or sickness that we face. And it's very comforting to know that even if God doesn't answer our prayers to heal Dad, that He is here with us carrying us through this time. He never lets go!

11 comments:

Sue Contant said...

Be assured that Langley Christian Art students & staff will also be praying. Sue & Martin

Linda said...

Thank you for this blog. I am praying.

Anonymous said...

AMEN Janis. AMEN. I love that song, God is soo good. He has got you all in the palm of His hand, the safest and most amazing place you could be. I love you lots!

Amanda said...

this is such a great idea Janis, your family has been on my mind constantly since Sunday...I hope this is a good outlet for you.
Thanks for sharing!
In prayer,
Amanda

Amanda said...

I realise now this is not Janis, but Dana - thank you so much for these posts!

Deb Wassink said...

Dear Folkerts Family~

You are in our thoughts and prayers as we walk this journey with you. We pray that Gerald may be healed (the Lord willing) and for peace and courage for all of you.

Ger - I always love the holy kiss you give and hope to get to another one. You are a special brother-in-law and I always love bringing out the cream for you!

Arlis - My dear sister-in-law, you have always been strong, just keep the faith and focus on the current day. You will be a blessing. Gerald always quoted you as the Proverbs women. Remember that!

Children - Enjoy the parks and the fun things you love to do as a family. Cherish these great memories.

Here is a verse I have loved and have memorized-

The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you; He will quiet you with His love. He will
rejoice over you with singing.
Zephania 3 :17 NIV

Love ya much~
Deb

Nichole said...

Your family is in my prayers. He never lets go...

Nichole (Erin Keowen's sister)

Anonymous said...

To Gerald and family,
We are currently travelling in Turkey and received a link to your blog courtesy of a mutual friend at saint benedict's table. Hard to really know what to say, other than to assure you all of our prayers and to let you know that I anticipate connecting with you when we return at the end of September.

A gravel road, indeed, and one that none of you could have possibly anticipated. May you have the courage to trust that the Spirit accompanies all of you on that road.

In Christ,
Jamie Howison and Catherine Pate

fenix said...

What a privilege and responsibility you extend to each of us - to pray. It sounds simple, but experience teaches that prayer is serious business, a holy task that shapes both the recipient and the the one who prays. The appropriateness of your Blog Title reminds me of a passage that impacted me recently. This is from an article by frederick Beuchner, entitled "The Road Goes On"

"I was sitting by the side of the road one day last fall. It was a dark time in my life. I was full of anxiety, full of fear and uncertainty. The world within seemed as shadowy as the world without. And then, as I sat there, I spotted a car coming down the road toward me with one of those license plates that you can get by paying a little extra, with a word on it instead of just numbers and a letter or two. And of all the words the license plate might have had on it, the word that it did have was the word T-R-U-S-T: TRUST. And as it came close enough for me to read, it became suddenly for me a word from on high, and I give it to you here as a word form on high also for you. Above all else, trust Him. Trust Him."

Bert said...

Hey, this is Linda's brother Bert. What a shock to hear about the tumor. Yoe and your family is in our thought's and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Family of gerald, this might come as a bit of a surprise, I meet you in Chilliwack crc,so for strater's I'll be praying for you all, for pray is the strongest tool we have to fight the hurts of life.
So please hang on for all it's worth and know God love's you all.
Joanne Carlson